This article is part of our Fantasy Baseball Podcast series.
Clay and James discuss their picks from their mock drafts.
James's roster construction takeaways:
- Power or speed outfielders and middle infielders will go early in the drafts with pitchers mixing in.
- Starting pitchers really flatten out after the first 10-11 rounds. Get as many starters as you think is reasonable in the first 10 rounds and then grab your hitters.
- In paid leagues, you do want to get one of the early closers.
- Carlos Santana, Garrett Cooper, Brandon Belt, and Nate Lowe are still fine first base options late in the draft.
- You need to have your bases covered at 2B and 3B by around pick 300 — still good options at 1B, OF, SS later in the rounds.
- Grab two starting pitchers in the first four rounds.
- Felt I was already SOL on speed after five rounds, but in the end I think I managed just enough SBs.
- Are there five closers you feel good about drafting? Fewer? Karinchak and Devin Williams are two of my top targets in all of fantasy right now.
- Catchers: pay for one, go dumpster diving for the other.
- Price on Wander Franco too high for me this year.
- How high does Alex Kirilloff climb by March/April drafts?
Here is a link to the audio version:
Here is a link to the YouTube video: